Looking for a choral home?
Here’s how to audition for the Providence Singers
For nearly 50 years, the Providence Singers has been an auditioned chorus of dedicated singers, people who simply love choral singing. We find that choral satisfactions come from singing challenging, interesting music — and singing it well.
Our seasons typically offer a wide range of music, from compositions we have just commissioned to established works from the choral canon. For most of the last decade, our seasons have included guest appearances with the Rhode Island Philharmonic Orchestra, both for an annual Messiah and for one of the Philharmonic’s classical subscription concerts.
You might like to browse our archives of recent seasons.
What we’re looking for
We hold ourselves to high musical standards. Every member auditions every two years; everyone is expected to:
- read and interpret a musical score, including notes, dynamics, and other markings;
- sing expressively in tune and with a tone quality appropriate to choral music;
- prepare music prior to each rehearsal (we rehearse Tuesdays from 7:15 to 10 p.m. at the Rhode Island Philharmonic and Music School’s Carter Center in East Providence);
- sing all concerts in every season.
What an audition is like
If you are an experienced choral singer, we encourage you to audition. You will be asked to:
- sing one solo in the language of your choice (three minutes maximum), preferably from the oratorio, art song, or opera repertoire. Memorization is not required. Select something you are comfortable with and enjoy singing — no need to learn something new or “impressive” — but please bring a copy for the accompanist;
- vocalize to show your range and intonation;
- sight-read a short choral excerpt with accompaniment;
- prepare a brief excerpt from a choral work if one has been assigned.
How to start the process
To arrange for your audition, either call the office (401-751-5700) or send e-mail, introducing yourself and describing your choral experience. Please include:
- your name and full contact information (mailing address, e-mail, telephone — home, cell, daytime, etc.);
- the voice part you customarily sing (Soprano I or II, Bass I or II, etc.);
- groups with which you have sung in recent years and the kind of repertoire you have performed;
- any musical training, voice lessons, academic degrees, or other experience you’ve had;
- how you found out about the Providence Singers;
- any other information you think might help us understand your background.
If you have you have not received an acknowledgement of your email within 48 hours, please call the office (401-751-5700).
We generally hold auditions in the spring or early summer for the following season, but we may schedule auditions in August or during the season as needed. We welcome audition inquiries anytime. Please call the office for more information or with any questions you might have.